WHO WE ARE
One of the most prestigious orchestras in the country, the Ouro Preto Orchestra has Maestro Rodrigo Toffolo as Artistic Director and Chief Conductor. The award-winning, nationally recognized group has been performing in major concert halls of Brazil and the world. Created in 2000, its work is marked by experimentation and originality.
Focusing on the research and appreciation of musical references, the Orchestra proposes to offer a permanent program and the development of a diverse repertoire, in gender and time period, aiming at educating and broadening its audience.
Throughout its history, the Ouro Preto Orchestra has brought together projects of great relevance, under the sign of excellence and versatility. As part of its legacy, mention should be made of the:
• 26th Brazilian Music Awards (2015) for Best MPB Album (Valencianas - Alceu Valença e Orquestra Ouro Preto);
• Latin Grammy Awards nomination for Best Instrumental Album of 2007 (Latinidades);
• Documentary Compositeurs de hier et d'aujourd'hui (2005), recorded for TV France 5 and distributed in Brazil and Europe;
• Discography containing 6 albums and 4 DVDs.
The orchestra performs annually in cities throughout Brazil and has also presented in other countries including England (International Beatleweek), Portugal, Spain/Galicia (Portuguese-speaking Countries and Communities Tour), Argentina (International Festival of Early Music and Ibero-American Baroque) and Bolivia (International Festival of Early Music of Chiquitos).
• The universality of music, based on the classical repertoire;
• The promotion of works from the historical repertoire of Minas Gerais, Brazil;
• The Latinity as a source of identity and reference, with emphasis on Brazilian music;
• The originality and experimentalism, through a dialogue between the worlds of
classical and popular music.
• The formation of new audiences through cultural actions for social inclusion.