"Brillante II" - Magdalena Pilch
- artist:Magdalena Pilch
- featured artist:Marek Pilch, Bartosz Kokosza
- release year:2015
- Romantic Period
- Classical Music
- Audio File / Digital
- CD (Compact Disc)
- record submitted by:
The recording was made using two flutes. One of them is an original instrument by Wilhelm Liebel (1793-1871), the Dresden constructor whose flutes were recommended by well-known Romantic virtuoso Anton Bernhard Fürstenau in both his methods: Flötenschule op. 42 (1826) and Die Kunst des Flötenspiels op. 138 (1844). The eleven-key instrument is made of grenadilla wood and belongs to Mr Michał Pęszyński, a private collector from Warsaw, and it was lent the flautist in preparation for the recording. The original head, made of ivory and supplied with a sliding-joint, was cracked and has been glued with unavoidable interference with the embouchure hole, the shape of which is usually the chief factor in forming the sound. Because of this drawback, for the purpose of the recording, the original body of the instrument was joined with a wooden reconstruction of the head, made in 2014 in Innsbruck by Rudolf Tutz, one of the most outstanding modern constructors of historical wind instruments. Fantasia concertante by Czerny and Weber’s Trio G minor, without the second movement, were performed using the Liebel flute. The second movement of Weber’s Trio and the whole Trio D minor by Mendelssohn were recorded on a Romantic flute constructed in 2014 by Rudolf Tutz, modelled after a few instruments by various German makers of the first half of the 19th century. It is not a faithful copy of a specific flute, but his own project, an outcome of his long standing cooperation with flautists who specialise in historically informed performance. The instrument is made of grenadilla wood and has an eight-key system, characteristic of many German flutes of the first half of the 19th century.
The cello was made by Krzysztof Krupa in 2004, modelled after some smaller instruments by Antonio Stradivari constructed after 1710. The endpin typical for the Romantic cello was turned in the Les Bois d’Harmonie workshop near Paris. The bow made by Marcin Krupa in 2012 is a copy of the one by François J. Goulard from 1820-1830. The cello is supplied with a set of gut strings without balanced tension, the two lower wound with silver.
The square piano was built by Stockholm constructor Pehr Rosenwall (1801-1869) who worked in the 1828-1861 period. Its serial number is 808. The action is a single escapement English action. The compass is almost 7 octaves, CC-a'''' (C1-A7). The instrument was bought in 2009 by the performer and was in its original condition, without traces of any essential changes. For the purpose of the performance, it was necessary to regulate the action, renew some hammers and replace a few strings. The piano was tuned in equal temperament, in pitch a'=440 Hz.