On Friday evening 24 May 2019, the Spiritual Cultural Center Amersfoort in the St. Franciscus Xaverius Church, in collaboration with the AJO and well-known Amersfoort speakers, will present the event 'The City'. This unique evening combines passionate lectures, compelling music and appealing photography on current topics in the contemporary city, Amersfoort
Text, music and image are connected into a whole. The topics that are discussed are sustainability, future & renewal, justice & love, history & solidarity and spirituality. During the program there is a photo exhibition of artists from Amersfoort who are affiliated with 033Fotostad. The beautiful photos are inspired by the different themes.
* Lucas Bolsius - mayor Amersfoort: what makes the city a city?
George Gershwin ( 1898 - 1937) An American in Paris (1928)
* Fokke de Jong - sustainability ambassador: sustainability and dilemmas
Edwin (Tsz Chun) Sung, UK (1992-) An Overture to the Proms (2018)
* Simone Kennedy - councilor: love, lust, justice and death in the city of
Camille Saint - Saëns (1835-1921) Bacchanale from Samson et Dalila, Op. 47 (1877)
* Arjeh Kalmann - journalist: solidarity in the city of
Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911) Symphony No. 1 in D "Der Titan" (1888), third part
* Bernadette van Dijk - street pastor: spirituality in the city of
Arvo Pärt (1934) Da pacem Domine
The evening ends with the premiere of the piece Symphonic poem no.2, A townsperson from the village, opus 94, composed by Maarten Bauer (2000) . In 2017, Bauer was the prize winner of the Princess Christina Composition Competition.